Saturday, June 23, 2007

Literary Exercise # 2

This exercise is geared towards providing as many alternatives as possible to a simple phrase. An example my professor gave me was, "She broke my heart." "She crushed my aorta like a can of Dr. Pepper." "She pole-axed my left ventricle." and so on. This exercise is helpful for stretching the writer, making him think outside of his literary toolbox, while at the same time, staying true to the subject matter. So here goes:



"He looked out the window into the garden."



"The window was his camera and the garden was his snapshot."



"He looked through a portal to the origin of evil."



"He looked through a trick mirror to the other side."



"He looked over the edge of the ledge into a row of hedges."



"In hindsight, he wished he would have gone for the bigger room."

No comments:

 
Writing Blogs - Blog Catalog Blog Directory